World Environment Day
The World Environment Day (WED) is the biggest, most globally celebrated day for positive environmental action.
The celebration of WED began in 1972 and has grown to become one of the main vehicles through which the United Nations encourages positive action for the environment. Through WED, the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) enables everyone to realize not only the responsibility to care for the Earth, but also reminds one and all of their individual power to become agents of change. Every action counts, and when multiplied by a global chorus, becomes exponential in its impact.
WED is a big celebration, engaging millions across the globe through events on the ground in over 70 countries. Every year, participants, young and old, organize clean up campaigns, art exhibits, tree-planting drives, concerts, dance recitals, recycling drives, social media campaigns and different contests themed around caring for the planet.
When: 05th June 2015
Theme - 2015:
The 2015 Theme for World Environment Day is Sustainable consumption and production.
The slogan for the Theme is “Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care.”
How can we reduce our ‘foodprint’?
Reducing your foodprint is easy! By making informed food choices (such as buying only as much as you need, choosing seasonal and local food, eating organic and loving your leftovers), we can reduce our food waste on and ease the burden on our planet to produce food and reduce greenhouse gases unnecessarily entering our atmosphere.
What you can do:
- Think before you Eat and help Save our environment!
- Eat seasonal, fair trade, organic and locally produce commodities!
- Buy only as much as you need
- Look for products with minimal packaging
- Love your leftovers
- Save your food in airtight containers or by freezing it
- Compost your scraps
Moreover, you may also participate by doing the same from your respective areas of responsibilities and also, herewith below are some fun and educational activities that can be done to celebrate the World Environment Day:
- Conserve resources by reducing the use of water and energy
- Organize an anti-litter campaign at respective departments/branches/schools/offices/homes/neighborhood
- Encourage children to become environmental advocates at a young age by increasing awareness, exhibitions, conference, cultural programmes, competitions, etc.
- Get educated by visiting nature-related centers, landfills, recycling centers, composting sites, wastewater treatment plants, etc.
- Patronize recycled items made from biodegradable materials
- Raise money and donate to environmental cause
- Adopt not just the 3 R’s concept but rather the 5 R’s concept as basis for environmental activities
- REDUCE waste material by recycling
- REUSE products and waste material
- RECYCLE rather than scrap
- REFUSE to buy environmentally unfriendly products
- REFORM materials and use again
Celebrate the “World Environment Day” by making a difference for the noble cause of saving the environment.
Kindly encourage everyone - students, parents of the students, staffs, colleagues, family members and relatives for their proactive participation on any green-related events.