World Day to Combat Desertification (WDCD)
The World Day to Combat Desertification (WDCD) is observed worldwide and the focus for this year is “attainment of food security for all through sustainable food systems.”
When: every 17th June yearly
With the slogan, ‘No such thing as a free lunch. Invest in healthy soil’, the 2015 observance calls for:
- A change in our land use practices through smart agriculture and adaptation to changing climate, especially in the dry fragile parts of the world where food shortages are becoming more and more severe
- Access to technology and land rights for small holder farmers who safeguard the environment and meet the food needs of millions of households, especially among the poorest households
- A balance in the land use for ecology and consumption, drawing on the best practices
- More investments in sustainable land practices so that sustainable food systems become the normal practice and
- More effective action on desertification whose effects on security, peace and stability are invisible yet real for the affected countries due especially to food and water scarcity and environmentally forced migration.
The World Day to Combat Desertification will feature a global observance event in Milan, Italy, during the 2015 UN Expo as well as National and local observances.
We look forward to your support for the noble cause in saving our Mother Earth!!!
Kindly encourage all staffs, colleagues, family members and relatives for their active participation on any environment-related events.
It's not too late to take part and save the environment!!!